As mentioned in yesterday’s post, I have always found the accounts in the book of Ether to be very easy to liken to my life. I find this particularly easy to do with Ether 6:1-12. Before you read what I have written for today, take a few moments to review Ether 6:1-12 and study it with the following perspective in mind: “If I am like a Jaredite vessel traveling toward the promised land of the Celestial Kingdom, then what can I learn from these verses about my journey through life?”
I will simply list a few selections from Ether 6:1-12 below and a brief thought about how I feel it applies to my life. You may want to make a similar list in your scriptures from your own insights:
- he did put forth the stones into the vessels which were prepared, one in each end thereof; and behold, they did give light unto the vessels.
- I like to compare these two stones to the “Light of Christ” and the “Holy Ghost”. Every person in the world can receive “light” from these two sources, which have been “prepared” by the Lord for our benefit.
- thus the Lord caused stones to shine in darkness, to give light unto men, women, and children, that they might not cross the great waters in darkness.
- when they had prepared all
- I have to do everything that I can to be prepared for life.
- they got aboard of their vessels or barges, and set forth into the sea, commending themselves unto the Lord their God.
- I imagine it took a LOT of faith in God to get on/in those barges. As we undertook this journey of life in these earthly vessels, I imagine it took a LOT of faith as well. Now, each day when we continue our journey we need to make sure that we are “commending” (entrusting) ourselves to God with the same kind of faith every day.After all, isn’t that what our Savior Jesus Christ did every day, even unto His final breath? “Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.” (Luke 23:46) What would our days be like if our morning prayers reflected the same commitment and desire?
- the Lord God caused that there should be a furious wind blow upon the face of the waters, towards the promised land
- Remember that when you feel like God is sending His furious wind, that it’s purpose is to move you “towards the promised land” of the Celestial Kingdom, not to blow you away.
- thus they were tossed upon the waves of the sea before the wind.
- Yes, there will be some “tossing” going on, but remember that the Lord has “prepared” you for it! You may get “sea sick” of it all, but He will never allow you to be tossed more than you can handle.
- they were many times buried in the depths of the sea, because of the mountain waves which broke upon them, and also the great and terrible tempests which were caused by the fierceness of the wind.
- Sometimes we’re blown, sometimes we’re tossed, and then sometimes we are “buried”. BUT we are not dead! See the next one…
- when they were buried in the deep there was no water that could hurt them, their vessels being tight like unto a dish
All the water in the world,However hard it tried,Could never sink the smallest shipUnless it [gets] inside.And all the evil in the world,The blackest kind of sin,Can never hurt you the least bitUnless you let it in. (The Spirit of Revelation)
- tight like unto the ark of Noah
- Speaking to Noah, the Lord said, “Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.” (Genesis 6:14) What is “pitch”? The word “pitch” in the original Hebrew translation of this passage is “kaphar” (verb), meaning: to cover, purge, make an atonement, make reconciliation. In other words, what gives us the ability to be “tight like unto a dish” and “like unto the ark of Noah” isn’t anything that we do for ourselves. It is conditional upon our willingness to “pitch” our lives “within and without with [the Atonement]”. If we do not “cover” ourselves with the Atonement, then when the wind blows, and the waves toss, and we are buried in the depths of the sea we will sink.
- therefore when they were encompassed about by many waters they did cry unto the Lord, and he did bring them forth again upon the top of the waters.
- See the explanation in the bullet-point above… Crying unto the Lord is one way that we can “kaphar” (Hebrew for “cover”) ourselves with the Atonement. As we do so God will bring us “forth again upon the top of the waters”. Joseph Smith once said,“Never be discouraged. If I were sunk in the lowest pit of Nova Scotia, with the Rocky Mountains piled on me, I would hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I would come out on top,” (The Sure Sound of the Trumpet) as he did over and over, again.
- the wind did never cease to blow towards the promised land while they were upon the waters
- God is mindful of me, and He will “never cease to blow [me] towards the promised land” of the Celestial Kingdom.
- they did sing praises unto the Lord
- My Grandma Simon gave me a lapel pin that says, “He who sings, prays twice!” I think that the Lord taught us the same principle when He revealed this truth to Emma Smith, “For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.” (D&C 25:12) It seems that the two main methods that God has given us to “praise” Him is prayer and song. So remember what Grandma Simon taught me, “He who sings, prays twice!”
- he did thank and praise the Lord all the day long; and when the night came, they did not cease to praise the Lord.
- It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters! The Brother of Jared had learned his lesson about remembering “not to call upon the name of the Lord” (Ether 2:14-15), so he knew how to react. “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18) “And they did admonish their brethren; and they were also admonished, every one by the word of God, according to his sins, or to the sins which he had committed, being commanded of God to pray without ceasing, and to give thanks in all things.” (Mosiah 26:39)
- no monster of the sea could break them, neither whale that could mar them
- Not only would God not allow that which He had caused to happen to hurt the Jaredites, but He also would not allow outside factors of the environment in which they were placed to “break” nor “mar” them. Even so it is with us. As you are blown, and tossed, and buried by God on the way to the promised land of the Celestial Kingdom, you will also be attacked by the “monsters” and “whales” surround you in the environment in which God has placed you. He knows that they are there, and He has provided a way for you to be safe from them.
- they did have light continually, whether it was above the water or under the water.
- Indeed we do have access to the “Light of Christ” and the “Holy Ghost” continually, no matter what our circumstances may be. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland put it so well when he said, “However late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you feel you have made or talents you think you don’t have, or distance from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines. Whether you are not yet of our faith or were once with us and have not remained, there is nothing in either case you have done that cannot be undone. There is no problem which you cannot overcome. There is no dream that in the unfolding of time and eternity cannot yet be realized. Even if you feel you are the lost and last laborer of the eleventh hour, the Lord of the vineyard still stands beckoning. “Come boldly [to] the throne of grace” (Hebrews 4:16), and fall at the feet of the Holy One of Israel. Come and feast “without money and without price” (Isaiah 55:1) at the table of the Lord. . . . My beloved brothers and sisters, to those of you who have been blessed by the gospel for many years because you were fortunate enough to find it early, and to those of you who have come to the gospel by stages and phases later, and finally to those of you—member or not yet member—who may still be hanging back, to each of you, one and all, I testify of the renewing power of God’s love and the miracle of His grace. His concern is for the faith at which you finally arrive, not the hour of the day in which you got there. So if you have made covenants, keep them. If you haven’t made them, make them. If you have made them and broken them, repent and repair them. It is never too late so long as the Master of the vineyard says there is time. Please listen to the prompting of the Holy Spirit telling you right now, this very moment, that you should accept the atoning gift of the Lord Jesus Christ and enjoy the fellowship of His labor. Don’t delay. It’s getting late.” (The Laborers in the Vineyard, emphasis added.)
- they did land upon the shore of the promised land.
- If we can but ENDURE TO THE END, and ENDURE IT WELL (as seen in the Jaredites example above), we too will someday find that we have landed “upon the shore” of the promised Celestial Kingdom! We don’t know how long that will take, and it may be a longer, harder trip for some, but we will ALL get there. Anyone can have Eternal Life, they just have to want it more than anything else! Elder Bruce C. Hafen said it this way: “We can have eternal life if we want it, but only if there is nothing else we want more.” (Atonement: All for All)
- when they had set their feet upon the shores of the promised land they bowed themselves down upon the face of the land, and did humble themselves before the Lord, and did shed tears of joy before the Lord, because of the multitude of his tender mercies over them.
- And I imagine that is pretty much what you will see when/if you happen to see me arrive to our Celestial Home On High!
Remember to LIKEN the scriptures as you study them. Ask yourself, “What is that ‘like’ in my life?” As you do so, the Lord will be able to help you through this journey of mortality and land you safely upon the shores of the promised land that He has prepared for you. So stop sitting on the beach! (Ether 2:14) Get on with your journey and “commend” yourself to God. Endure to the end and endure it well as He blows, and tosses, and buries you toward the promised land!
ON THIS DAY IN 1829: Palmayra, New York. Joseph Smith showed the Eight Witnesses the gold plates near the Joseph Smith Sr. log home.
Please leave your thoughts about a special verse, teaching, etc. that you enjoyed at one of the following:
REPLY at the bottom of each post at: bookofmormontranslationchallenge.wordpress.com
LIKE our Facebook page and post at: facebook.com/BookOfMormonTranslationChallenge
JOIN our Facebook group and share at: facebook.com/groups/BookOfMormonTranslationChallenge
TWITTER and INSTAGRAM users can use #bomtc for related posts: twitter.com/brosimonsays | instagram.com/brosimonsays